Whether you have canvases from a recent portrait session, some old family pictures or any kind of artwork to hang on your walls, they will have to work with everything else you already have in your house. Here are some tips to get the best of your new wall display.
1. Hang at Eye Level – that means the average person eye level. Measure about 60” from the floor. Make sure the center of the art piece should be at 60”.
2. Hang Art On a Grid – A grid constitutes of frames together horizontally or vertically. Lay down first on the floor the pictures you want to hang to make sure you have the right layout. Rule number 1 applies here too – measure 60” from the center of the full display.
3. Hang Art Salon Style – salon style means that a you have a few pieces of artwork squeezed together onto a wall. Start in the middle (your center piece) and work your way out. Take consideration on the proportion of the art pieces and the theme. Look out for cohesiveness.
4. Mix and Match – Look for different frames and media place canvas right next to a frame, vary the colors and styles of the frames, use different kinds of artwork.
5. Layer Pieces – a fireplace or a piece of furniture are perfect places to layer pieces of art. The layers of artwork and accessories bring a sense of warmth and comfort to the room.
6. Pay Attention to The Size of the Wall – A small piece will look lost in a large wall. Larger pieces need more room.
7. Change Direction – Hanging horizontal and vertical pieces as part of the same display adds interest and brings out the individuality of each piece.
8. Balance – Try to balance the artwork with the furniture in the room. Large art pieces over large items of furniture help accentuate the furniture piece but keep it slightly smaller than the furniture piece itself so it doesn’t look overbearing.
9. Consider the Room You Are Hanging Your Art – In the bedroom, keep it personal with family photos for example. In the kitchen hang art where it won’t get dirty.
10. Above All Have Fun – Go with your gut and do what feels right. Show your personality and make your walls stand out. Remember, you can always change what you don’t like.